The Plant Engineer is responsible for plant engineering, operations & maintenance support and project management. The Plant Engineer serves as a resource for plant personnel to assist in the safe, effective, and efficient operation of the facility. Additionally, the Plant Engineer is responsible for implementing and maintaining the NERC program for the facility and provides support in this area for plant management
- Track and monitor overall plant performance including but not limited to the combustion and steam turbines and the HRSG. Identify, trend and analyze plant heat rate and efficiency.
- Responsible for tracking forced outages, loss of generation and conducting root cause analysis on the cause of failure. This includes any necessary reporting requirements, internal and external
- Develop, communicate, and perform work practices and procedures to keep site drawings and documentation up to date
- Analyze equipment failures, determine root causes, recommend recovery plans and impose cost effective solutions to prevent reoccurrence
- Administers the Management of Change Program to assure high quality documentation. Provides updates to the Plant library and files on facility change requests and modifications
- Perform reliability studies to ensure that the plant’s availability and capacity factors are maximized
- Review plant design and generate recommendations to reduce the overall cost of operations
- Manage capital improvement projects to ensure budgetary guidelines and contractual guarantees are met.
Responsible for the oversight, administration and coordination of all plant Operator and Owner
NERC accountabilities. Must be familiar with all NERC standards and requirements in order to:
Understand and interpret regulatory requirements (know where to obtain information and interpret requirements to be applied at the plant level);
Ability to analyze large amounts of technical data and structure such information for the purposes of clearly documenting and demonstrating compliance with all applicable NERC Reliability Compliance standards.
Complete Reliability Standard Audit Worksheets (RSAWs) for the plant
Provide responses that are accurate, technically competent, and given with consideration to represent the stakeholders in a proper manner during compliance visits
Ensure that plant NERC Reliability procedures and policies are kept up to date with requirements
Provide training to plant personnel on updated or new NERC procedures and requirements
The Plant Engineer reports to the Plant Manager. The Plant Engineer works closely with the Operations Manager, Maintenance Managers and Health Safety and Environmental Manager as needed in the daily operation of the plant.
What you will bring
Individual who has a passion for excellence in plant operations and maintenance. Work history will demonstrate progressively increasing responsibilities with at least three years of directly related experience in a power plant environment.
A Bachelor of Science Degree in an engineering discipline is required.
Additional strengths needed in this role include:
- A thorough, demonstrated understanding of power plant operations, including a working knowledge of the operations and maintenance components of the plant
- Experience in NERC compliance for operating facilities is desired, preferably in a power plant or power-related industry
- Excellent writing and analytical skills and an ability to present facts, conclusions and recommendations in written communications, both in formal and informal formats
- Experience with real-time performance management software such as EtaPro or PI systems to monitor plant heat rate and efficiency